Monday, March 24, 2008

Three Questions with Naomi Shihab Nye

Naomi Shihab Nye, our 2008 Poetry Prize judge, took a second to chat:

Who are your favorite writers (poets or otherwise)?

William Stafford, Lucille Clifton, W.S. Merwin, Ted Kooser, Hettie Jones, Grace Paley, and many others.


What works of theirs are touchstones for you?

Every War Has Two Losers, William Stafford on Peace & War, never leaves my travel bag.


What are your current projects?

I'm working on a book which will somehow thread together some of my late beloved father's unpublished notes and my own words. He wanted to do a book of dialog with me before he died, and we could never get it together!


Right now I'm here in DC with SPLIT THE ROCK poetry festival, which is all about activism against this five years tragedy of an invasion. I am feeling strong about poetry's voice!

Thanks and Cheers.


The
Pittsburgh Tribune Review also did a nice profile on Naomi and her work. Check it out.

No comments: